cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

clear ip route necessary after redistribution change?

borek
Level 1
Level 1

Let's say I have following redistribution configured:

router rip

version 2

redistribute eigrp 1

redistribute ospf 1

network 10.0.0.0

default-metric 5

no auto-summary

It works, no problem. Now I change the redistribute statements to contain route map:

redistribute eigrp 1 route-map rip-in

redistribute ospf 1 route-map rip-in

The problem is that the change does not take place until I execute "clear ip route *" on the router (ie. the routes, that are denied by the route map continue to be redistributed).

The question is: is this normal behaviour? Is this manual intervention always necessary?

1 Reply 1

I don't know what's Cisco's recommendation is but I can tell you what my experience has been in this regard. In most situations, any changes that I had made, similar to the one that you did, didn't require clearing the ip routes. There has been one or two situations that I had to manually clear the route(s) for the change to take effect.

I strongly believe the router should recognize the change and effect it without any manual intervention but then there may be bugs in the IOS version that's used. Though, the routes should repopulate quickly on clearing them you have to be careful clearing the routes, especially, if it's a high visibility network.

HTH

Sundar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: