Views
Helpful
Replies

Cohabitation of various routing card in a C7600

ltupin06021979
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm going to migrate two SUP32 cards to two RSP720 cards. Curently, we have two C7604 (iBGP session between them, one active and the other one for backup  with one SUP32 inside. To make some tests on the futures RSP720 cards (iOS "installation", pre-configuring, link tests...), I envisage to plug the new card in the backup C7604.

In Cisco Documentation, I find that you must insert RSP720card in slot 1 or 2:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate ... 7cc3e.html:

Cisco 7604 Chassis Features

• Four slots (2 supervisor slots and 2 interface slots or 1 supervisor slot with 3 interface slots)

Do you think that I can insert my card in slot3 or 4 just for testing ? I prefer doing that because I'm afraid to put it in the slot2 with the SUP32 online and in production card in the slot1.

Thanks for your answers.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

This will not work. The new SUP720 will not fit in a normal slot and may even be damaged by trying.

You are also likely to bring the machine down by such an action.

A router or switch can only work with one supervisor installed, or when supported, two in sup-redundancy mode.

For this, the SUPs need to be of exactly the same hard- and software version.

You can/should never mix a SUP720 with a SUP32 in the same enclosure. Dont try it!

regards,

Leo

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

lgijssel
Level 9
Level 9

Hi,

This will not work. The new SUP720 will not fit in a normal slot and may even be damaged by trying.

You are also likely to bring the machine down by such an action.

A router or switch can only work with one supervisor installed, or when supported, two in sup-redundancy mode.

For this, the SUPs need to be of exactly the same hard- and software version.

You can/should never mix a SUP720 with a SUP32 in the same enclosure. Dont try it!

regards,

Leo

Ok Leo I find it :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/Chassis_Installation/7600_Series_Router_Installation_Guide/osr_over.html#wp1106135

Note

Both supervisor engines in a single chassis must be identical.

Slot 1 is reserved for the supervisor engine, which provides switching,  local and remote management, and multiple GBIC uplink ports.

Slot 2 can contain a redundant supervisor engine that can act as a  backup if the first supervisor engine fails. If a redundant supervisor  engine is not required, slot 2 is available for an OSM or other  supported Catalyst 6500 series modules.

Thanks again !!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: