cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

%COMMON_FIB-6-FIB_RECURSION: has too many (8) levels of recursion during process switch

Jared Oliver
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I often get this message in my logs;

%COMMON_FIB-6-FIB_RECURSION:  has too many (8) levels of recursion during process switch

Does anyone have any idea what this means? This same router has, on average, one disconnect from our GRE tunnel each day and I can't connect to it externally until the cable modem is rebooted. The log above is the only thing I've got to go on really. Everything else looks normal.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Don2001L
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Jared, 

That message means you have a routing issue. 
I had the same thing occur on a couple of routers that * Swapped* places in my Lab as I had not updated the configuration on each one "Correctly"
Check what "show ip route" returns and adjust it accordingly.
Bad routing was the problem in my situation - it might not be the same for you.

Have Fun, 
Don 

Humanoid

there is something between routing make FIB recursion issue, 
can you share the config of router ??

Hello, 

The problem configuration is gone now - 
2 Routers 
Router1 
0/0 10.0.0.0
0/1 20.0.0.0
Router 2 
0/0 20.0.0.0
0/1 30.0.0.0

IP route statements were left in the "Other Router" for what used to be 10 and what used to be 30 for " How to get to 10 / 30 "

Some BGP and OSPF config tests were also present - so its comparing apple and Lemons. 
just trying to give Jared someplace to start looking for a 7 Year Old post  

Don

Humanoid

sorry I see the date now, I thought it new post. 
anyway 
Yes the routing must config right for GRE tunnel otherwise the routing for tunnel is through tunnel itself 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card