Views
Helpful
Replies

Compression module for 3662

NAVIN PARWAL
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

We recently bought a comprossion module for out 3662 routes connecting out WAN link (T1). My worry is that if i enable compression on the router, it will effect voice quality as we have voice and data traffic going over the WAN. To make things complicated we have 2 links between each sites and are doing multilink PPP.

Is their a way i could excluse voice traffic from being compressed, i mean i am using g.729 codec anyways for compression and to save badwidth.

Many thanks

2 Replies 2

wong34539
Level 6
Level 6

Ensure that the port range for NetMeeting is included in the voice traffic class for Low Latency Queuing (LLQ). The normal port range configured for the voice traffic class is 16384-37276. For NetMeeting, extend this range to 49352-49408 . The signalling class needs to include H.323/H.225 signalling .

bhatia.sachin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I dnt see any harm in enabling rtp header compression at the Multilink int. as it wud be the voice packets that wud get affected even if data an voice move together.Mreover you can enable tcp header compression also.You can also define LLQ for voice packets to be serviced ahead of data on the multilink.Specify TCP ports 1719-1720 as well else than UDP ports 16384-32767 as mentioned above.

I had done tht myself an it works just fine.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card