cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Conditional OSPF summary Generation

sandjose
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I have a issue with the summary address generation in ospf .

The sample network Digaram is attached , As per the diagram R1 and R2  acts as the ABR and would like to genrate a summary route for the area 39 into the backbone are 0 .

I can achieve the same using area range cli . The links between the area 39 and area 0 are WAN links and there is a probablity of it going down .

In such case i would want the respective ABR (either R1 or R2) not advertise the summary address, since the connection to area 39 is not available .

Iam looking at something like a conditional summary advertisement  , similar to the conditional default route .

Please let me know if we have an option for the same .

This is a test set up we are doing and we found that when the WAN links are down and one of the routers (R1 or R2) has lost connectivity with area 39 the router advertises the summary address and the packets are dropped since there is no specific routes for area 39.

1 Reply 1

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Strickly speaking an ABR can only advertise a summary when it has a valid interface/route in the RIB.

HTH>

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card