Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Conecting 2 routers 2800 with a ethernet cable dont work

I have two router conected each other using fastethernet 0/0 on both and i cant reach the interface to be up/up state

the configuration i have in both interface is the fallowing:

R1 

interface fastethernet 0/0 

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

no shu

R2

interface fastethernet 0/0

ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0

no shu

I had used straight and crossover cable and none of them work, but if i conect a pc or a switch in that interface it work perfect, so is not a interface problem or a cable problem, is there something else sI need to configure to be able to conect 2 routers through ethernet cable?

3 Replies 3

Hello,

in theory, a crossover cable should work. Make sure you actually really have one: pins 1 and 3 and 2 and 6 should be reversed.

Also, try and hard code speed and duplex settings on both ports (speed 100/duplex full)..

@eurypolancopilar wrote:

but if i conect a pc or a switch in that interface it work perfect, so is not a interface problem or a cable problem, is there something else sI need to configure to be able to conect 2 routers through ethernet cable?

Does it work on either interface of either router or just the one router? - You could also try defaulting the interfaces and re-configure them

default interface fa0/0
interface fa0/0
no shut
ip address x.x.x.x

sh controller fa0/0
sh ip interface fa0/0
sh interface fa0/0

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As noted by others, a cross over cable should work. (BTW, as Georg mentions, are you sure you have a good cross over cable? Some modern switches support auto-MDI, so if your cross-over really isn't, it might work with your switch.)

You mention router ports come up when connect to a switch. If so, if you connect both routers to the same switch, and their ports come up, can the two routers intercommunicate?
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card