cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure DMVPN tunnels between a hub and spoke with a dynamic and possibly changing reguarly public WAN IP

RyanMunro4780
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Looking to implement a solution where the customer has got a ISP provider which assigns the Public IP via DHCP, however this is likely to change reguarly due to the location.

I need to configure GRE tunnels between the hub and spoke. I am familiar with setting up GRE tunnels when the spoke site has a statically assigned public IP, but how does that work if it is dynamically changing?

DMVPN?

Thanks in advance.

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long as the hub has static IP, spoke can register with Hub, this not an issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

if both the hub and the spoke have dynamically assigned IP addresses, you would need DDNS on the hub, and FQDN on the spokes. Have a look at the link below for a sample setup:

DMVPN configuration with both Hub and Spokes having a dynamically assigned NBMA (public) IP

https://www.experts-exchange.com/articles/18218/DMVPN-configuration-with-both-Hub-and-Spokes-having-a-dynamically-assigned-NBMA-public-IP.html

Thank you for the response :)

So the hub will have a static IP assigned, but the spoke will be changing dynamically, I have only set tunnels up before when both sides have static IP's.

I have been looking at DMVPN, NHRP.

Would you think that is the best way to go?

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

As Cisco's recommendation is HUB must have a static IP address. But this DMVPN will also work on the DYDNS as Georg Pauwen has shared a link in his post. How much is it stable? It's complete depends that How soon your IP getting change and How soon your DNS getting an update on the Public DNS servers. As per an estimate Idea, there will be feeling 5 to 10 minutes downtime after changing the HUB IP address (Public) due to DYNDNS. 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card