cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring 'no ip redirects' on a c3725 w/16 port Etherswitch NM

ecarlington
Level 1
Level 1

When configuring a c3725 for no ip redirects, the command takes on the onboard FastE ports, but not on the module FastE ports.  I have attempted the command globally, on each interface individually, and as an interface range.  Each time I receive "invalid input", and when I look at available commands, the no ip redirects command is not listed.  Surely there must be a way to apply 'no ip redirects' to these ports?  Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What etherswitch module is it ?

If the ports can be both L2 switchports and L3 routed ports then to apply "no ip redirects" they would need to be configured as L3  ports ie.

int

no switchport

ip address x.x.x.x

if the port was configured as a switchport ie. L2 then it would make no sense to apply "no ip redirects" as this is a L3 function.

If the ports can only be configured as L2 switchports then no it probably won't take the command.

Jon

Amit Aneja
Level 3
Level 3

As Jon mentioned that the ports where you are trying this command are probably L2.

The switch modules that are supported with this router are HWIC-4 or HWIC-9ESW, NM-16ESW, these modules provide L2 ports only.

There is another module NME which provides L3 ports, however, you have to get into the NME to configure those ports. I am quite +ve that you are trying the command on router, so, you aren't using this NME module which leaves you with the above L2 modules where the command "no ip redirects" isn't supported.

Regards,

Amit

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card