cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring QOS for an OOMA VOIP TELOS for FIOS

Pderby
Level 1
Level 1

When working from home I use an OOMA TELOS VOIP box that is connected to a CISCO 1921 Router running IOS 15.1 on a GIG-E interface.  the Router is connected to a FIOS ONT via ethernet and has 30 Mbps download and 25 Mbps upload speeds. 

There are a number of other IP devices on the network (set top boxes, computers, phones, tablets, etc.)  I would like to configure the router to prioritize the network traffic for the OOMA box so that latency is minimized in conversations.

Does anyone have an example IOS configuration for QOS that works well with FIOS and an OOMA telos device?

The only change I've made to the OOMA is to set the Upstream Internet Spped (kbps) to 990.

OOMA's OOKLA internet speed test from my location to their server shows:  Download speed 28787 kbps, upload speed 6526 kbps, latency 69 milliseconds, jitter 0 milliseconds and packet loss 0%.  This was just run in the evening with little other traffic on the network.

During conversations there seems to be a lag so that people talk over each other thinking the other party has finished speaking.  It is almost like the traffic is half-duplex.  Instead of resorting to saying "over" at the end of each conversation burst, it would be nice to have QOS set so that real time conversations could take place.  Now there is a lot of "go ahead" when both parties start talking at the same time and realize they are talking over each other..

I'm hoping someone has figured out a good starting QOS configuration for this popular VOIP carrier and hardware.

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Generally, you'll want to have a parent policy that shapes for end-to-end available bandwidth (if less than physical interface bandwidths).  Most Cisco shapers don't, I believe, account for L2 overhead, so shape up to about 15% slower.

For physical interface of the end-to-end bandwidth, for child policies, prioritize your time sensitive traffic.  Normally you would use LLQ for VoIP bearer traffic.  VoIP signally normally only requires enough bandwidth to avoid packet drops.

BTW, you have little control for ingress.  Best, if possible, manage other side's egress.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card