cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Confusion about Public address pool.

ojasvi.bansal
Level 1
Level 1

I use a cable modem connection with static IP of 24.xx.xxx.xxx /22. The default gateway for the same is 24.xx.xxx.1. I don't use any kind of routing with my ISP. I just have a default route in my routers pointing to the dfault gateway.

I recently bought a pool of 8 ip address from a different ISP for my servers in my organization.

My question is, Can I use the IPs from the other ISP with this ISP. I am really confused about how the routing would happen in this case.

Any suggestions on this is highly appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

One more question, If I go to IANA and get the IP addresses and run a routing protocol with ISP. It can be done then, right?

Yes.

Are ISPs usually easy to run a routing protocol between customer and themselves?

Enterprise ISPs, Yes. Almost all companies need this service.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, you need to use the ISP you purchased the IPs from, as your carrier.

__

Edison.

Hello Edison,

Thanks for the reply.

What happens when big companies have multiple ISPs and a pool of their own?

The idea behind doing this is to use two ISPs for failover. When the failover happens, the IP for the edge router changes.

OJ

What happens when big companies have multiple ISPs and a pool of their own?

They use 'enterprise' ISPs, not cable modem solutions (SOHO), that enables them to configure BGP peering with the ISP and announce the public IPs that they own.

The ISP needs to be notified of your IPs being advertised so they can make the proper changes in their side, all done with BGP as the routing protocol.

Keep in mind, you must own the IPs, not another service provider. IPs owned by service providers can only be advertised via that service provider.

HTH,

___

Edison.

I really appreciate your response.

One more question, If I go to IANA and get the IP addresses and run a routing protocol with ISP. It can be done then, right?

Are ISPs usually easy to run a routing protocol between customer and themselves?

OJ

Yes.

Enterprise ISPs, Yes. Almost all companies need this service.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

I really appreciate your help.

God bless you.

OJ

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: