cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect one network to another over point-to-point SVI

Vitalii
Level 1
Level 1

Hello! I need to connect remote network 10.180.100.0/24 to our corporate network. I'm going to use SVI Vlan 500 as point-to-point link on L3 swtich on both switches, network 10.255.1.10/30. The question is can I use SVI Vlan 500 with network 10.255.1.10/30 for routing 10.180.100.0/24 to our corporate network?

4 Replies 4

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

The short answer is yes.

Point to point links do not have to use routed interfaces if that is your concern.

If your concern lays elsewhere, let us know and we can work through the solution.

cheers,

Seb.

I'm just want to know the purpose of point-to-point link. Can I use 10.180.100.0/24 on vlan 500 without point-to-point link for connect remote sites?

The purpose of the p2p link is to reduce traffic across your WAN connection. I.e. only traffic that would need to transit the WAN path would do so.

Yes, you could have your /24 as both your LAN and WAN network. However.all broadcast traffic would be sent across the WAN connection.

Agree with @Joseph W. Doherty , you will want to limit your broadcast domain to the remote site, using a point to point link is the simplest way to implement this.

cheers,

Seb.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card