Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect router CGR2010 to ADSL for tunnel GRE

RafaelSpain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I hope you can help me because.....please.

I have to configure the next in my job: I have a remote site and a central site, both with a router CGR2010. I want to create a tunnel GRE between both. I will have (not yet) ADSL in the central router side with a static public IP.

My problem is....How I configure the router to connect to ADSL and have this static public IP in one of its interfaces to make de tunnel gre later.

Thank you very much in advance.

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Rafael,

Having a static IP will require a coordination with your ISP. Your ISP must be specifically asked to provide you with a static IP address. There is no workaround - if your ISP is not prepared to assign a static address to you, you cannot do anything on your side to make sure that your address will stay the same.

There are certain solutions, such as DMVPN, that allow remote sites to use dynamic addresses and register them at the central site, but using these complicates the design somewhat.

Best regards,
Peter

Thanks Peter, but that is not my problem. I will have a static public IP provided by my ISP and I will use DMVPN.

My problem is connect my router to internet through ADSL and having the IP public in a interface of my router.

Hi Rafael,

So if I read you correctly, you want to have an example of the basic configuration for ADSL connectivity, right?

In that case, can you please first answer the following questions?

1. Is the CGR already equipped with an ADSL interface? If so, what is its name and number? If not, how is the CGR supposed to be connected to the ADSL service - is there another router or modem being connected? If so, is it going to operate in a routed or a bridged mode?
  2. If the CGR has its own ADSL interface, what is the type of connectivity required by your ISP - is it PPPoA or PPPoE?
  3. Regarding the static public IP address, what did your ISP tell you about its configuration? Should you configure it directly on your CGR, or should you use a dynamic assignment while the ISP makes sure that you always get the same IP again and again?

Thanks!

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

It´s correct, i would like to have a example of configuration for ADSL connectivity.

The CGR have a module GRWIC-D-ES-2S-8PC=, which will connect to a ADSL device of the ISP. 

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/2000-series-connected-grid-routers/Datasheet_c78-669126.html

The CGR haven´t a ADSL interface, only comun Ethernet Interfaces.

About the third point, I have no idea yet

Thanks !

Hi Rafael,

Let's assume for now that your provider will be assigning you the IP address dynamically, and that the existing DSL device on the remote site is operating only as an ADSL modem purely in bridge mode, without any IP routing.

In this example, I will make following assumptions:

1. Interface FastEthernet0/0 will be the internal interface toward the internal site network and will be using the IP address 10.0.0.1/24.
  2. Interface FastEthernet0/1 will be connected to the ADSL modem on the premises
  3. ADSL connectivity will be based on a PPPoE client functionality. PPPoE session and the link provided by the PPPoE session will be represented by the Dialer0 interface, and this name must not be changed. The Dialer0 interface is a virtual interface; it does not exist by default and will be created after you first enter its configuration.
  4. I assume that the ISP will require authentication. I have assumed that your login is MyLogin@ISP and password is MyPass@ISP. The configuration is prepared to handle both PAP and CHAP authentication.

Most certainly, on the Cisco router you have, the naming of the interfaces will be different - please adapt interface names and IP addresses to your true needs.

hostname DSL-Gw
!
interface FastEthernet0/0
 description => Internal network at site <=
 ip address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0
 ip nat inside
 no shutdown
!
interface FastEthernet0/1
 description => To ADSL Link <=
 pppoe-client dial-pool-number 1
 no shutdown
!
interface Dialer0
 description => PPPoE Session to ISP <=
 dialer pool 1
 encapsulation ppp
 mtu 1492
 ip address negotiated
 ip tcp adjust-mss 1452
 ip nat outside
 ppp pap sent-username MyLogin@ISP password MyPass@ISP
 ppp chap hostname MyLogin@ISP
 ppp chap password MyPass@ISP
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0
!
ip access-list standard NAT
 permit 10.0.0.0 0.0.0.255
!
ip nat inside source list NAT interface Dialer0 overload

If the DSL device at the premises is operating as a router then the Cisco will need to be configured differently, or the DSL device has to be reconfigured to operate only as an ADSL bridge.

Please note that under no circumstances can you connect the DSL line directly to your Cisco router. As you have said yourself, you do not have any DSL interfaces, only Ethernet interfaces. An Ethernet interface on your Cisco has to be connected to an Ethernet interface on the DSL device at the premises, and that device will have another port where the DSL line is connected.

Best regards,
Peter

Thank you Peter!! you´re the best!

I´ll try the configuration at home. This configuration is for the central site, at the remote site I will have another router CGR with 3G connectivity witch a dinamyc public IP.

Then, we´ll create a tunnel GRE between both (the static public IP throught ADSL and the dinamyc public IP throught 3G) using DMVPN (I attach a scheme)

I have all the configuration except the connection to ADSL which I asked. I can´t try it yet because the proyect is in America and I will travel from Spain coming soon.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card