cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting 2 routers with only FastEthernet

firemonte
Level 1
Level 1

I have a home lab.  I am trying to connect a 1710 to a 2610 with just using the fast ethernet ports.  I understand that serial connections and t1 csu/dsu connections use clocking, etc.  How can I configure FA ports to do the same AND be routable?

Monte Rindlisbacher

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello monte, you do not need to set clocking on fastethernet interfaces. If you want this particular link to be routable all you have to do is ensure that both ends are within the same ip range, e.g.

Router 1

Interface fa0/0
IP address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252
Speed auto
Duplex auto
No shut

Router 2
Interface fa0/0
IP address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.252
Speed auto
Duplex auto
No shut

This should allow you to 'ping' the other side, if you are able to, then there is connectivity.
If you want to achieve routing for different subnets you can use static routing or a dynamic routing protocol.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

You may also need a crossover cable.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Monte,

I'm not sure if i understood your requirment currectly but still just want to let you know below points.

You don't need to provide any clocking for any Ehternet interfaces like the way you do for serial interface. If you again ip address to these interface you should be able to route the traffic through them.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello monte, you do not need to set clocking on fastethernet interfaces. If you want this particular link to be routable all you have to do is ensure that both ends are within the same ip range, e.g.

Router 1

Interface fa0/0
IP address 10.0.0.1 255.255.255.252
Speed auto
Duplex auto
No shut

Router 2
Interface fa0/0
IP address 10.0.0.2 255.255.255.252
Speed auto
Duplex auto
No shut

This should allow you to 'ping' the other side, if you are able to, then there is connectivity.
If you want to achieve routing for different subnets you can use static routing or a dynamic routing protocol.

Hope this helps

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Thank You very much!!! I am connected.  So simple.  I was hung up on clicking... not to mention I had to make a crossover cable... If I made that first, I think I would have been sucessful to begin with.

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

You may also need a crossover cable.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thank you Jeff!! If I made the crossover first, i would have been successful in the first place.  I at least got the same subnet concept right.  I was hung up on clocking on FA ports.

u save me, i stuck about 3 hours find documentation, read u post and BINGO is the simple crossover cable, i can't believe this
Grateful

BTW, many modern switches have auto-MDI ports, i.e. they will work with straight-thru or cross-over cables. (Some old switches, had a way to change the MDI of some ports, or had an "up-link" port for like device connections, too.) However, I'm unaware of any "true" router Ethernet ports that also support auto-MDI.

Also, a "cheap" switch, between the two routers, would allow straight-thru cables to be used.

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

If only I had a dime for every time I needed a crossover....

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

firemonte
Level 1
Level 1

I am revisiting this topic.

I enlarded my home lab network.  R1, R2 and R3 are 2610's and R4 & R5 are 1710's.

I have R4 and R5 connected and OSPF formed a neaighbor relationship.

I am trying to use F0 on R4 to connect to F0/0 of R2 using the IP scheme.  I have status as UP on both Fast Etherne ports yet the line protocol in DOWN.

I used the above configuration, which worked before and now it does not. :( Help!

I grabbed the wrong cables... i need to lable my crossover cables! LOL!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card