cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting a Fiber WAN at 1gig.....

GeneBeamer
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to research what Cisco equipment can handle 10 1 gig ports comming into it.... I have heard that some of the Cisco equipment just simply can not handle this capacity.... Is there anyone out there with some real world experience and willing to suggest some good equipement?

We are preparing to move all internet traffic through these lines as well as many servers off site as possible...

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Many Cisco products can do that.

Recommend you get in touch with a reputable consultant or certified Cisco partner to help you choose.

We are in the process of of talking to our Cisco Partner. However, I never take one persons or one companies solution and go with it...  Is there any out there that I should absolutely stay away from?  Anyone looked at a 4900 series solution?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The    Author of this posting offers the information contained within this    posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that    there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any  purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and  should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind.  Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In    no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

It's true some Cisco equipment doesn't have the capacity to drive all ports at wire-speed, but it's often unusual that they need too.  If you know what traffic volume you need to support, you can examine the device specs looking at both internal device bandwidth capacity and packet per second forwarding rate to determine whether the device can support your need.

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

GeneBeamer wrote:

I am trying to research what Cisco equipment can handle 10 1 gig ports comming into it.... I have heard that some of the Cisco equipment just simply can not handle this capacity.... Is there anyone out there with some real world experience and willing to suggest some good equipement?

We are preparing to move all internet traffic through these lines as well as many servers off site as possible...

What kind of features do you want?

You don't need to go as far as a 4900 series - a 3750X - WS-C3750X-24S-S - will do the job. 160 gigabits per second backplane, 24 SFP ports (fibre of copper), 65.5 MPPS forwarding rate - as long as you don't need to run fancy routing (IP base), that'll do the job - or you could get the WS-C3750X-24S-E for the more enhanced IP Services feature set.

Cheers.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sorry, but can you please elaborate what you are trying to do?

Your description is vague.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card