Helpful
Replies

Connecting Cisco AP 2802 with router at home

dasiekr
Level 1
Level 1

Dear colleagues,

I'm asking you for a help. 

At the beginning I would like to mention that I don't have experience related with computer networks especially if it comes to work with cisco access points.

Week ago I was asked by father of my girlfriend if I'm capable of configuring such device with their router so they could use it in their house.

Model of access point is Cisco AIR-AP2802E-E-K9.

I ordered simple ExtraLink Power Supply POE 48V 48W 1A Gigabit which I connected with access point and router Huawei B525s-23a.

Led status is cycling through Red-Off-Green-Off-Blue-Off and a message for that sequence tells that "Access point location command invoked from controller web interface".

The problem is I don't know how to enable AP to discover router.

I saw on the Internet that there are a few ways of dealing with that but each of them was presented 

with usage of CLI.

I'm afraid that I will change some settings that will break a network and I won't be able to fix it afterwards.

Could anyone explain to me what should I do in this case?

What steps do I need to perform to make it work?

I will be really grateful if someone would patiently give me some advice.

Best Regards,

Adam

13 Replies 13

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Make sure the access point is running an autonomous image , otherwise it can only work with a controller.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Hello @marce1000,

Thanks for quick respone.

Could you please navigate me on how to check this autonomus image?

Is it something that I need to check for this particular AP model or it needs to be checked in configuration?

dasiekr
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for your help.

I realized that I don't own console cable.

Anyway, now I know that I need to use tftp and putty to communicate with AP and install necessary os.

But after that will this AP still need a connection with my router or it will work completely autonomus? 

- It will need a connection to the router to be able to offer Internet access. Autonomous/mobility-express means that you get a web-interface on the ap where you can set ssid/wlan/authentication... locally-on-the-ap.  (In other cases such as  lightweight-aps , everything is managed by a controller). In fact you need mobility-express firmware as explained by merlin76.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

One more thing, DHCP needs to be enabled on your router and actively offering all clients IP addresses.

dasiekr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello colleagues,

I'm sorry it is taking so much time for me.

I got console cable that I ordered but I encounter another problem.

I connected my laptop with cisco via console and network cables and after trying to use Putty I constantly receive following message:

[02/22/2020 12:01:56.9600] wired0 emac 2: link up
[02/22/2020 12:01:57.0100] wired0: link up
[02/22/2020 12:01:57.0600] wired0: started
[*02/22/2020 12:01:57.1088] aptrace_register_sysproc_fn: duplicate registeration for 'wired'
[*02/22/2020 12:02:01.2147] Waiting for uplink IPv4 configuration
[*02/22/2020 12:02:06.2158] Waiting for uplink IPv4 configuration
[*02/22/2020 12:02:11.2169] Waiting for uplink IPv4 configuration
[*02/22/2020 12:02:12.2170] Rese[02/22/2020 12:02:12.2300] wired0: stopped
tting wired0 and restart DHCP client.

Furthermore, I can not login using default credentials because of authentication failure. I thought that it might be caused by previous user's config but after restoring to factory settings nothing has changed.

I saw what @patoberli wrote about setting up DHCP on my router and it seems to be another problem because I'm only allowed to use quick configuration option by my internet provider (i guees). The question is whether the output that I have on putty console is caused by lack of DHCP on my router.

>....Waiting for uplink IPv4 configuration

- It seems that the router is not providing an ip address to the access point.

M.

So, Do I need to setup DHCP on my router in this case?

- Normally an ISP-router will do/offer DHCP automatically for every device that connects, you should be able to logon to the router and check it's (DHCP)-logs or leases 'rented' , or check if the access point  attempted to get an address (e.g.)

M.

dasiekr
Level 1
Level 1

Hello again,

Finally I managed to convert my AP to mobility express.

However, I'm wondering how configure it so it will be able to connect with my home router.

Below, you can see a part that is confusing me. I fount it on the internet but I'm not sure whether I should apply the same config for my home network.

Can you please point me what is crucial in this process so I will connect AP to my router?

I'm not sure if these IP adressess should contain IP of router.

Management Interface IP Address Configuration [STATIC][dhcp]:
Management Interface IP Address: 192.168.128.101
Management Interface Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Management Interface Default Router: 192.168.128.1
Create Management DHCP Scope? [yes][NO]: no
Employee Network Name (SSID)?: 1850
Employee Network Security? [PSK][enterprise]: PSK
Employee PSK Passphrase (8-63 characters)?: *******
Incorrect passphrase
Invalid response
Employee PSK Passphrase (8-63 characters)?: ***************
Re-enter Employee PSK Passphrase: ***************
Enable RF Parameter Optimization? [YES][no]: 
Client Density [TYPICAL][Low][High]: 
Traffic with Voice [NO][Yes]: yes
Set internal AP to Flex+Bridge mode [yes][NO]:
Configuration correct? If yes, system will save it and reset. [yes][NO]: yes

- Try to use dhcp for the first question.

M.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card