cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console connection issue

Markee68Q
Level 1
Level 1

What does it mean if you've connected everything correctly and you're at the terminal but the router/switch doesn't start a boot on the laptop CLI?

29 Replies 29

It's a Cisco 2524 of the 2500 series

Hello,

post a picture of the cable you are using.

Also, try TeraTerm:

https://ttssh2.osdn.jp/index.html.en

IMG_20181009_133225.jpg

Thank you for posting the pictures. Clearly the cable connecting to the console is not the Cisco issued blue console cable. It is not clear to me whether the cable that you are using does the same roll over that the Cisco cable does. Clearly something is preventing the console connection. My main concern at this point is the console cable.

Do you have access to any other Cisco equipment with which you could test your console cable?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

So yes, I have two Cisco 3750's and a Cisco ASA 5520 that I tried the black cable with, but no connection. I went out a few minutes ago and found a light blue Cisco compatible console cable. There has been no change in my issue so far. I took the advice of another post to use Tera Term VT, and still no change. Would i need to download anything from Cisco to access the router or the console cable such as some type of license?

If the blue cable (which sounds like the one you need) does work on other devices, there is unfortunately a fair chance that your 2524 is broken. As Richard already mentioned, these devices are ancient (pre 2000), so yours is likely more than 20 years old...

Sadly, I feel you're correct. I did buy it blindly, because I did not know what would be best to use for a home lab based on what I could afford. I've lurked a lot on Ebay recently to see what I could get instead in an Auction.

Thanks for all the help

:)

I know that you told us that you got a blue Cisco console cable and I believe that you said with the blue console cable you are still not able to communicate with the router console. I am not clear whether you have used the blue console cable to access the 3750 switches. Did you try this and did that work or not work?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Yes sir, I did try with the 3750's as well using Tera Term and Putty, no change. Maybe all of my devices are bad, which would be very sad.

Surprising that it does not work with 3750. Can you also try the blue cable with ASA?

I could easily believe that there was a problem with console port on 2524 router. But failure of console port on 2524 and on 2 switches seems unexpected.

It occurs to me that there is an additional test that we might try. The 2524 has a console port and an aux port. Try the aux port. After connecting to cable to the aux port boot up the router. You will need to wait till the boot process completes because there is no response on the aux port until the router is up and running. But when the router is running you should get some kind of prompt on the aux port and perhaps be able to enter some command.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Ok, I'll try that now.

In practice I have had some issues with this kind of adapter before,  the prolific usb to serial converter. Ten out of ten times it has turned out to be a driver incompatibility issue. And the fact that this is happening with more than one device makes me think this is something similar.

If you have time, please also paste the device manager settings for this adapter, when plugged in

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.

It is very helpful to have someone with experience with this usb console adapter share their experience. So +5. When it was failure on one device I could easily believe that it was a problem with the router. But failure over 3 or 4 devices makes me think it is more likely some issue with the adapter or its settings. Please do share them.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Here's what I have

Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM3) Properties

Bits per second: 9600
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: None

Putty Configuration COM3
Bits per second: 9600
Data Bits: 8
Parity: None
Stop Bits: 1
Flow Control: None

Thanks. Back in device manager, please post the properties page for device "Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM3)"

See an example below; if you can paste the "general" and "Driver" tabs , that will be helpful too.

prol.png

Remember to rate helpful posts and/or mark as a solution if your issue is resolved.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card