cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy TFTP fails from 4431 routers

kkinkaidcc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have setup a pair of 4431s (IOS XE 16.12.06) on a network but can't get any

copy tftp 

commands e.g.

copy run tftp

to work on either 4431. I have tested the tftp server using another cisco router on the same subnet and I don't have any issue.  I can ping from the 4431s to the tftp server without issue.  I also ran tcpdump on the tftp server while trying to do a

tftp copy

but I didn't see any connection attempts. Is there anything special to enable TFTP from a 4431 or anything else I can do to troubleshoot?  Thanks!

Here's a command that I can run to get a failed transfer:

mp-gw3-ncss#copy run tftp://[ip address]/[filename].cfg
Address or name of remote host [ip address]?
Destination filename [filename.cfg]?

%Error opening tftp://[ip address]/[filename].cfg (Timed out)
mp-gw3-ncss#sho tech | redir
mp-gw3-ncss#sho tech | redirect tftp://[ip address]/[filename].txt
%Error opening tftp://[ip address]/[filename].txt (Timed out)
mp-gw3-ncss#

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
ip tftp source-interface <PORT or VLAN>

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

what syntax do you use, and what is the error that is being displayed ?

Hi,  I updated the posts with those details.

Yes you updated. But so much of the detail is redacted that it is difficult to know what parts might be significant. If this is tftp within your network then the addresses are probably Private addresses. So what is the reason to redact them. 

After you attempt the tftp are there any entries in syslog that relate to this activity?

If you can ping from the router to the server that demonstrates basic IP connectivity. Which is good. Is it possible that on this router (or somewhere along the path to the server) is a security policy that is preventing tftp?

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
ip tftp source-interface <PORT or VLAN>

Thanks! That did the trick.  I thought tftp would default to use the same interface as a ping but I guess not. 

By default, TFTP uses a block-size of 512.  

The maximum size is "8192" and can make transferring a wee bit faster.

I, however, do not recommend increasing the TFTP block-size, for IOS-XE switches, to more than 1468 because of CSCvq01204.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card