cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

copying config file to a switch

dadamsjrsnoopy
Level 1
Level 1

I have copied using FTP the config file to the Firefox FTP server.

I have erased the config file on the switch.

I have rebooted and only added the ip ftp username and password.

I have copied the config file from the FTP server back to the switch.  Even though the destination file name is whatever I choose is there in the list of files from dir flash:, if the file name is 'startup-config', when I do show start or show start-up config, it is not there.

So I then copy the file from flash to startup-config and now it is there.

When I reboot, this startup file is used and it matches line for line a notepad or wordpad of it on the server where the file is saved.

However, there is no vlan.dat file so even though the interfaces are listed as belonging to the vlan(s), show vlan brief shows those interfaces "missing" and any vlan not associated with the vlans in the startup-config file are there in the default vlan 1.

When I create a vlan, I then do have the vlan.dat.  When I do show vlan brief, only the vlan i created shows up.

If I try to ftp copy the vlan.dat file to the ftp server, it times out even though its siz is smaller than the startup-config file I copied earlier to the ftp server.

So what is the correct way to back up the startup-config file so the switch can be restored?

Thank you,
David Adams

Mobile, AL

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VLAN Database need to be created.

instead of copy from TFTP, you paste directly all the config on config mode and write, that is the best way.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Martin L
VIP
VIP

my favorite option is VTP transparent mode; By default switch saves vlans in vlan.dat file for VTP modes Server and Client. you must use VTP mode transparent to get your vlans show up in show run config *and be saved there.
anyway, I am sure you can copy all files via TFTP; I did save my switch images that way.

Nope, I tried copying the vlan.dat file to the TFPT server (I can copy the startup-config there). Still timed out.
As for using a second switch in a VTP domain, yees but only IF you have more than one switch.
I am assuming at this point the vlan.dat file cannot be backed up on 2950 or C3750 series switches. These are pretty old switches that have reached their EOL. Maybe the newer switches allow you to copy the vlan.dat file to an USB flash drive.

Thank you,

David Adams
Mobile, AL
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card