Views
Helpful
Replies

Core Switch or SDH Equipment

m.salcedo
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Expert,

I have a requirement to connect two 3750 switch with 10G speed between two sites with 150km distance. We will lay-out our own fiber (48 core) between two sites. I just want to consult the following:

1. Could i use two core switch 6500 with single mode fiber as a transport equipment?

2. Or i need to use SDH equipment because of the distance concern? If so do i need a repeater?Could i use Cisco Metro Core ONS, which one?

3. Any other option to achieve this requirement?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

4 Replies 4

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

Says you're limited to 80km direct switch to switch.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hello Jef,

Thanks for the reply.

However the required distance is 150km. I did some reserch and i found the solution to my requirement  to reach 150km distance between two 3750 switch is Via ONS or via SDH. See below.

1. Via SDH

3750 switch  >   ASR > SDH > SDH > ASR > 3750 switch

OR

2. Via Dark fiber

3750 switch  > ASR > Cisco ONS > ASR > 3750 switch

My only problem now what model of Cisco ASR, ONS and SDH equipment i will use for this 150km distance requirement.

Could you advise?

Thanks.

Mike

With such an expensive project, do no hesitate to contact the Cisco Sales office. They will help in making the right choices, first and foremost of a certified Cisco partner.

DuncanM2008
Level 1
Level 1

As Paolo said get Cisco involved direct, I would add that if you're laying fibre you would be wise to maximise your investment and light either end with DWDM kit so you can ultimately grow In the future.

You could also lease wavelengths depending on what line of business your in ;)

SDH is the way to go.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card