cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Correct form to add multiples ip's on interface: Virtual int or secondary?

sir_ulrick
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I have a question about differences between both methods to use multiples ip's about one interface: I could use "secondary" command to add ip's but also it's possible to create virtual interfaces to assign different ip's. When is better to use first option and when the second?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

(Virtual) interfaces are typically used when you want to use the IPs in different VLANs. Secondary IPs if you want to have systems on the link address either IPs. Keep in mind that you don't need to add these IPs to the interface if you only want to use them for NAT. Configuring the NAT-statement is enough for that.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

(Virtual) interfaces are typically used when you want to use the IPs in different VLANs. Secondary IPs if you want to have systems on the link address either IPs. Keep in mind that you don't need to add these IPs to the interface if you only want to use them for NAT. Configuring the NAT-statement is enough for that.

Thanks Karsten for your complete answer. Really, I want access to same interface router using different ip range, so I think I can use both. Thanks a lot!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card