cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Correct workstation endpoint subnet mask?...

I'm embarrassed to ask this, but I need to confirm...

1. What is the difference between configuring a workstation endpoint with a /24 or /32 subnet mask?

2. Does workstation endpoint 10.0.0.77/32 on network 10.0.0.0/24 receive its /24 network broadcasts?

(This is a curiosity because ACL's use "host 10.0.0.77", which means /32.)

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"(This is a curiosity because ACL's use "host 10.0.0.77", which means /32.)"

Yes and no.  Yes, a host IP is a /32, but an ACL's mask doesn't have to mean an host IP is a host IP.  Hopefully what follows will try to clarify this point.

Understand, a mask, in an ACL, can be applied without regard to network vs. host number.  I.e. where /16, would indicate an IP  address is split 16 bits for the network number, and 16 bits for the host number, and uses a mask of 255.255.0.0, in an ACL you could use a mask value of 255.0.255.0,1.2.4.8, etc.  Of course, these later masks wouldn't be used for just separating an IP into its network and host numbers.  I.e. if for whatever reason if I wanted to use a mask of 255.255.255.255, I could use the "host" parameter.  (In fact, I have a very hazy recollection [???], that earlier on there wasn't a "host" option.)

"1. What is the difference between configuring a workstation endpoint with a /24 or /32 subnet mask?"

I believe the /32 implies the host and network numbers are one and the same.  I.e. in a route table you can have /32 networks, which are also the host's address.  (Technically, you could also argue there's no host number, within such a network.)

"2. Does workstation endpoint 10.0.0.77/32 on network 10.0.0.0/24 receive its /24 network broadcasts?"

I would not expect it to receive larger address block network broadcasts, as, for example, the two /25s within a /24 address block do not obtain network broadcasts directed to the /24, although if the /24 is advertised as an aggregate for one or both the subordinate /25s, the network broadcast may be forwarded toward the /24 aggregate until it's found there is no actual /24 network (i.e. it's an aggregate).

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"(This is a curiosity because ACL's use "host 10.0.0.77", which means /32.)"

Yes and no.  Yes, a host IP is a /32, but an ACL's mask doesn't have to mean an host IP is a host IP.  Hopefully what follows will try to clarify this point.

Understand, a mask, in an ACL, can be applied without regard to network vs. host number.  I.e. where /16, would indicate an IP  address is split 16 bits for the network number, and 16 bits for the host number, and uses a mask of 255.255.0.0, in an ACL you could use a mask value of 255.0.255.0,1.2.4.8, etc.  Of course, these later masks wouldn't be used for just separating an IP into its network and host numbers.  I.e. if for whatever reason if I wanted to use a mask of 255.255.255.255, I could use the "host" parameter.  (In fact, I have a very hazy recollection [???], that earlier on there wasn't a "host" option.)

"1. What is the difference between configuring a workstation endpoint with a /24 or /32 subnet mask?"

I believe the /32 implies the host and network numbers are one and the same.  I.e. in a route table you can have /32 networks, which are also the host's address.  (Technically, you could also argue there's no host number, within such a network.)

"2. Does workstation endpoint 10.0.0.77/32 on network 10.0.0.0/24 receive its /24 network broadcasts?"

I would not expect it to receive larger address block network broadcasts, as, for example, the two /25s within a /24 address block do not obtain network broadcasts directed to the /24, although if the /24 is advertised as an aggregate for one or both the subordinate /25s, the network broadcast may be forwarded toward the /24 aggregate until it's found there is no actual /24 network (i.e. it's an aggregate).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card