Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Daily Cisco 9300-nm-8x switch issue

Every morning our work center has to come in and unplug the line which feeds our internet connection to our Cisco 9300 switch from our router in order to get our internet connection/entire network back up and communicating. Any reason why this is happening?

I think it would be best to reconfig my entire network into a plug and play solution. I have an ISR router that feeds a CISCO 9300 switch. If I reset these to default will they be regular plug and play systems?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

So the issue turned out that the modem we received from our ISP was in bridge mode and wasn't connected directly to our router which was causing signal loss/noise in our cables and issues with our channels. The drops happened so frequently together that the connection would drop.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the Logs show and what router it connected to

post the interface configfuration where this Router connected  to understand the issue ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

honestly I would like to reconfig my entire network into a plug and play system and get rid of the vlans altogether.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @InformationSystems ,

it is difficult to say something meaningful without more details.

Check the log on both the switch and the router.

Verify on the router that you have a default static route like

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.y.z.k

with an IP next-hop if you have the following:

ip route 0.0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <interface-name>

your router is relying on Proxy ARP on ISP router and the end result can be a too big ARP table as it needs to ARP for every destination instead of making a single ARP request for x.y.z.k

Other possible issues at physical layer can be seen in the log messages

Hope to help

Giuseppe

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Use a syslog server for all involved cisco equipment to capture log (logging) at a central point, then review activities on  the syslogs during and before the troubled-times.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@InformationSystems wrote:

Every morning our work center has to come in and unplug the line which feeds our internet connection to our Cisco 9300 switch from our router in order to get our internet connection/entire network back up and communicating. Any reason why this is happening?

Are there any more information other than this?  What troubleshooting was done?

So we currently don't have logging set up on the router so no logs are retrievable. I did find out that I am unable to change the time on my router. What I found was that at 6:33am CST that my PC was unable to communicate with the switch. I do also know that many machines on my vlan are configured to go to sleep and so perhaps they are losing their vlan connection. 

So the issue turned out that the modem we received from our ISP was in bridge mode and wasn't connected directly to our router which was causing signal loss/noise in our cables and issues with our channels. The drops happened so frequently together that the connection would drop.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card