Views
Helpful
Replies

DC-DR scenerio as active/backup?

mandeepku
Level 1
Level 1

Hi .

I have my DC built up and i am going to built DR in two differentgeographical locations.

I am planning to use DC as active and DR in case offailover.

In DC I am using a public IP pool x.x.x.x and running BGPover there with the ISP.

I had hosted my sitesfrom DC at this x.x.x.x series IP address. (Ex domain.com  àx.x.x.1)

What  I want to achieve is that in case of DC down, remote user atinternet  can access to DR server of Domain.com without any manual intervention.

Please tell me the best feasible technology that I need to run at DR to achieve this.

3 Replies 3

mandeepku
Level 1
Level 1

Need your expertise guys...................

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

from my understaning now you will have two DCs active and standbay and they are interconnected towgather for example or you have an idnetical Public IP range to be advertised to two diffrent ISPs then to the interent

in this case i would recomend you to obtain your own Public BGP ASN then use this AS number in both DC/DR and advertise the same range of public IPs

from the DR you can use AS path Prepending to adverise this range with longer AS path to make it less prefered, once the DC is down this route from the DR will be used to reach your public range thorugh the DR

however there are some points you need to check

- someISP they use internal polices that effect BGP attributes useing BGP community strings and this you need to obtain it from the ISP

- you need to let the ISPs to permit your Public BGP ASN and the IP range you have ot be addvertised as some of then they block it unless allocted by them

note: you may be able to use two diffrent BGP ASN in DC and DR but it is not as good as if you have it one BGP AS more controled as some ISP might give it preference to thier local customers over the other AS !!!

HTH

if helpful Rate

Thanks for your reply,

But i have the scenerio where i am going to use Server load balancer at both the DC and DR ends.

I am going to use this technology for DNS redirection in case of DC fail.

Kindly let me know in that case using same ip schema at the DR end is feasible or i will go towards diffrent IP schema at DR.

server load balancing technology is  feasible for ip based access also or not?

kindly reply?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card