cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default gateway configuration

lostrouter
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 1921 router plugging into Charter coax.  The routers Gi0/0 is being assigned a dynamic IP address to the outside.  My question is simply how should I route to the outside world when I do not know the IP of the gateway as it might change.

I was thinking of doing 

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Gi0/0

When I type that in I get the following returned to me,  should I be alarmed?

%Default route without gateway, if not a point-to-point interface, may impact performance

Is there a better way to handle routing everything out an interface? Normally I would point to the next hop, but since the outside interface is dynamic the next hop could change periodically?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Try

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Try

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 dhcp

That is heartbreaking that it was that simple!

Cheers thank you

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card