Views
Helpful
Replies

Default route tracks IP SLA - Tip

Julian Ortiz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi community,

I need a tip for the following scenario. I have two branches with routers 1 and 2 (R1 and R2). I want R2 reaches the Internet through the upper path (MPLS A), and in case there is something wrong here, it goes through the lower path. For this, I am going to create a primary and secondary default routes on R2 with differents ADs. I am going to create a IP SLA to ping 8.8.8.8 through the upper path with a PBR, track this IP SLA, and use this track to use or not the primary default route.

ip_sla.PNG

The configuration on R2 will be something like this:

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 8.8.8.8 source-ip R2_int_loopback_1

ip sla schedule 1 start-time now forever

track 1 ip sla 1 state

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 IP_RC track 1

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 IP_RD 200

ip local policy route-map ping_ipsla_over_upper_path

route-map ping_ipsla_over_upper_path permit

match ip address 101

set ip next-hop IP_RC

access-list 101 permit ip host R2_int_loopback_1 host 8.8.8.8

Then, my doubt is, is this fine? Will the IP SLA pings reach 8.8.8.8 because the PBR configuration? Or will they need also the primary default route to have a route on the IP routing table?

Many thanks,

Julián

15 Replies 15

Hello

@Julian Ortiz wrote:

Then, my doubt is, is this fine? Will the IP SLA pings reach 8.8.8.8 because the PBR configuration? Or will they need also the primary default route to have a route on the IP routing table?

The PBR is only for iPSLA nothing more it isn't for any traffic routing, although it needs the primary default static route to reach its sla destination sourced from R2 primary ISP interface, Now if/when reachability to that destination fails via this interface the the same icmp tracking cannot be seen via its secondary backup default static route, hence the set to null interface is applied to negate such occurrence..

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card