Views
Helpful
Replies

Dial up solution

husseinmuneer
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

A company has 5 branches connected with the main office through frame relay network but some time a problem happens in the frame relay service in the main office so the connectivity with all branches stop.

We need a device to install in the main office to connect it with 5 telephone line then the computers in branches (not routers) will dial to them when the frame relay problem happen.so what do you suggest ?  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Purchase and install an NM-8AM Integrated V.92 analog modem network module - this will provide dial-in modem access.

HTH>

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

Purchase and install an NM-8AM Integrated V.92 analog modem network module - this will provide dial-in modem access.

HTH>

If I install Cisco router 1721 with two ISDN cards (WIC-S/T) then connect 2 ISDN lines to these ports so from the branches make dial up connection through the regular analog modem which installed in the personal computers is it going to work? because the 2 ISDN lines = 4 channels so 4 branches can work.

regards

1- I found the NM-8AM module so it can work with cisco router 2610 in the main office and personal computers in the branches ?

2-  what is the differance between NM-8AM and NM-8AM-v2 ?

3- Please also answer my question about the ISDN which i sent before this post.

regards

To answer your questions:-

1 - Yes

2 - Not sure myself, but these urls are the info on both types:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t7/feature/guide/gtnmam.html

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800a93f2.shtml

3 - ISDN and Analogue modems use completely different signalling.  ISDN modems only work on ISDN lines. AFAIK an ISDN line will not accept calls from a normal analogue line (my ISDN is 15 years rusty!)

But with that in mind - you can convert ISDN to analogue.  So you could has ISDN cards, and connect it to a converter and connect the converter into analogue lines.

HTH>

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card