cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different SPF and LSA timers between WAN routers in different DATA Centers

IslamOmar
Level 1
Level 1

So I' having the WAN connection between ASR's in different physical data centers running OSPF , Each WAN data center are having the below config and differ in terms of LSA and SPF timers , will there be any effect on the long run knowing that both are falling under one area ( area 0 ) .

Data Center 1 WAN Config :
=================
router ospf 1
timers throttle spf 2000 8000 8000

Data Center 2 WAN Config :
=================
router ospf 1
timers throttle spf 50 200 5000
timers throttle lsa 50 200 5000

3 Replies 3

Hello

TBH these SPF timers are dynamically set by ospf and my understanding is you only would need to tweak these timers if you wish to speed up network convergence times through SPF calculation, Which could have the affect of an unstable network is set incorrectly, So I would say at the very least these timers should have parity on each opsf router within your network.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I do agree , I found the situation as is in the customer side , tweaking these values to be matched require a long downtime . OSPF is bit a crazy setup in the customer side . so i will keep it as is till finding the right time to change . i was looking in the community if someone faced such setup where OSPF ( SPF and LSA ) timers were different and what was the behavior ( mainly in a real production scenario.

Its always recommended to use the standard SFP calculation value as if you change it it is going to impact all the devices.

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card