Views
Helpful
Replies

Differentiate Global DLCI and Local DLCI from Cisco Router Command

macky1313
Level 1
Level 1

Mind if I ask a noobie question?

How do you differeniate whether the DLCI is a gobal or local?

What I understand is local DLCI is locally significance.

If you refer to the printscreen attached from my CISCO Textbook, can you tell me how do you know whether the show comand can indicate whether it is a local or global DLCI.

DLCI.JPG

Thank you for your time.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you are right. Frame relay router at customer's side won't show you whether it is local or global. Whether it is local or global DLCI, is normally determinted by the configuration on the frame relay switch (typically owned by Service Provider), ie: how it is configured on the Service Provider frame relay switch.

Here is a Cisco Press article on how local and global DLCI being configured on frame relay switch (Service Provider switch typically):

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=170741&seqNum=8

From the example on the global DLCI, DLCI: 101 is globally significant (again, as far as the Service Provider is concern).

Hope that answers your question.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Jennifer Halim
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

There is no global DLCI. You are absolutely correct... all DLCI is locally significant.

Hope that helps.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Mind if I ask a noobie question?

How do you differeniate whether the DLCI is a gobal or local?

What I understand is local DLCI is locally significance.

If you refer to the printscreen attached from my CISCO Textbook, can you tell me how do you know whether the show comand can indicate whether it is a local or global DLCI.

The difference between Global and Local DLCI in FR network is DLCIs are of local significance, unless an agreement has been made with the network service provider to deploy global DLCIs. Local significance means that DLCIs are of use only to the local Frame Relay network device.

The use of global DLCIs requires that they each be preassigned. (Typically, the assignments are negotiated between the customer and the network service provider.) In addition, each DLCI can be used only once throughout the network. (If two sites had the same DLCI, the network would not know which termination site was the intended destination.) The Frame Relay switch within the network service providers network will have tables that route the traffic between each origination and termination pair.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

macky1313
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for all your replies.

Pardon me, but I'm still unable how to see from the diagram whether the DLCI is local or global?

Based on the Cisco text, it would be local. DLCI output on your cisco router will always be locally significant. It will not show whether it is local or global.

As per Ganesh' advise, only if you have agreement with your Service Provider, it is global DLCI. However, as far as your router is concern, it will always be local DLCI.

Thanks halijenn .

So we are not able to tell from the CISCO IOS command whether DLCI is local or global, as in theory, the DLCI in the router will always be local?

Yes, you are right. Frame relay router at customer's side won't show you whether it is local or global. Whether it is local or global DLCI, is normally determinted by the configuration on the frame relay switch (typically owned by Service Provider), ie: how it is configured on the Service Provider frame relay switch.

Here is a Cisco Press article on how local and global DLCI being configured on frame relay switch (Service Provider switch typically):

http://www.ciscopress.com/articles/article.asp?p=170741&seqNum=8

From the example on the global DLCI, DLCI: 101 is globally significant (again, as far as the Service Provider is concern).

Hope that answers your question.

Many thanks halijenn!

Much appreciated the link, it helps alot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco