cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable traffic through standby router in HSRP setup

stevenj80241
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to stop the standby router in an HSRP pair from forwarding traffic from it's LAN side interfaces until it becomes the active router?

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on how you configured the HSRP, If you followed the best practice, Active router always be the path for the outgoing traffic.

HSRP group you will need to use the priority command.

The default priority is 100.
The higher priority will determine which router is active.
If both routers are set to the same priority, the first router to come up will be the active router.

BB

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Assuming you mean traffic arriving on another interface on the standby router then no because the standby router has directly connected interfaces in the HSRP enabled subnets. 

Is there a reason you want to do this ? 

Jon

I have a reason to want to do this. Asymmetric traffic issues because firewalls are northbound of the HSRP switches and since the firewalls are active/active they may potentially send traffic to standby peer when configured with ECMP. It seems to cause tcp out of order issues. If I disable the ecmp on the firewalls then it works fine, but with it on it causes some issues I have seen. I would like to use ecmp, but it seems disabling for now is what I will do. Should have went with GLBP
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card