cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Distribute-List Out Can't Set EIGRP External Metric?

Paul Chapman
Level 4
Level 4

Hi All -

I'm not sure why this doesn't work.  Maybe someone can point me in the direction of documentation I haven't seen.  Let's start with this configuration snip:

route-map RM-DIST-OUT permit 100
 set metric 1000000 4000 255 1 1500
!
[EIGRP AS 100 config truncated]
!
router eigrp WAN
 address-family ipv4 unicast autonomous-system 1000
  topology base
default-metric 1000000 1000 255 1 1500
   distribute-list route-map RM-DIST-OUT out TenGigabitEthernet0/0/0
   redistribute eigrp 100

Let's assume for a minute that the router has some local EIGRP routes natively in AS 1000 (aka Internal Routes).  Additionally, we are bringing in routes from AS 100 via redistribution.  When I apply the distribute-list to EIGRP 1000 going outbound on the WAN interface, only the internal routes receive the modified delay metric.  The external routes from redistribution ignore the modified metric.  Why?

My actual config is a lot more complicated.  I've verified that I'm hitting the first rule by matching on tags and adding deny statements to the route-map.  The testing all points to the fact that I can't modify the EIGRP external metric on an outbound distribute list.  Additional testing has shown that I can modify EIGRP external route metrics on inbound distribute-lists.

The functional workaround at this point is to modify the EIGRP external metrics in the redistribution itself.

Did someone not teach me a rule when I was growing up?

PSC

2 Replies 2

Hello Paul,

I have recreated your scenario, but with the result that the delay metric for all, that is, the internal as well as the redistributed routes, get the new metric (using an outbound map).

Can you post the full config of the EIGRP neighbors ? In my case I am using loopbacks, so I am not sure if I copied your exact scenario...

Hitesh Vinzoda
Level 4
Level 4

Hi there,

Try to add another match command and let me know if that helps

route-map RM-DIST-OUT permit 100
match route-type internal external
 set metric 1000000 4000 255 1 1500
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card