cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN backup for MPLS site

sphbecker
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to setup a fault tolerant configuration for a branch site using MPLS as the primary and DMVPN as the backup. The MPLS cloud uses BGP, our data center and directly connected sites use EIGRP. BGP routes are injected into the EIGRP network at the data center.

My problem is that when both MPLS and DMVPN are in use, routers at the data center see EIGRP advertisements as a lower cost than the BGP injected route. Traffic is returned on the much slower backup circuit.

My setup...

Router 1

100 mbps MPLS connection

HSRP priority 200

SLA Track BGP reachability with HSRP priority decrement 150

Router 2

10 mpbs DMVPN over direct internet connection

HSRP priory 100

Ideally, I would like router 2 to only advertise its the local subnet on EIGRP when it is the primary HSRP router. Another option is to setup an SLA track on router 2 to watch the BGP neighbor of router 1. I have not found any examples of how to advertise routes based on an SLA.

I am okay with the convergence delay of EIGRP when the MPLS connection fails. In my tests performing this manually, it takes less than 30 seconds, an acceptable outage for this site.

1 Reply 1

Ed Willson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi! Did you get a solution for this? I've been planning the same and reached the conclusion the eigrp on the dmvpn would be an issue potentially.  I'm now thinking of running bgp on the dmvpn, as we're already running it on the mpls network. I'm using eigrp internally, and redistributing the router to each other.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card