Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN HUB router recommendation

Adis Cato
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

Which router can be HUB to 300 + spoke devices? At the central site would be two such routers, and each would be a primary HUB for half of the remote branch routers. In the case of failure of one HUB other HUB should continue to operate as a HUB for all 325 remote spoke routers.

People from the local Cisco offices have recommended ASR1000 for HUB routers but sales people in my company think it's a little expensive and that it could perform some of the ISR series router for example 3945. In Cisco documentation for dmvpn design it is recommended to use ASR routers...

Has anyone had experience with similar DMVPN design?

Thanks in advance.

1 Reply 1

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've seen this setup before.  I've worked in one.  Back then, before ASR, we had a 7206VXR with a G2 card as our hub. 

How big are both bandwidth going to the router?  Without knowing this figure and the amount of IP terminating points, I'd side with Cisco and get an beefy ASR 1002X.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card