Views
Helpful
Replies

DMVPN recommended HUB router to support 500 spokes

Wei Kwong Ong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Fellow Expert,

In a DMVPN environment, for a Hub router to support around 500 spokes routers, what is the recommended HUB router? Which model of ISR or ASR router?

Thanks!

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the current WAN bandwidth and what is the bandwidth going to be like 4-5 years from now?

The current WAN bandwidth is 4mbps. No idea what is planning on the bandwidth in 4 - 5 years.

The current WAN bandwidth is 4mbps. 

Let me get this straight ... 

1.  You've got a WAN bandwidth of only 4 Mbps; 

2.  You have a 500-spoke router fleet and all going back to this router? 

I don't think this makes any sense.

Hi Leo,

Whats the recommended WAN bandwidth for the hub and spokes in a 500 spokes DMVPN environment?

You need to understand your applications requirements and how much bandwidth it is need. After it multiplied per user and SUM all the requirements for all the applications.

The benefit of DMVPN is use the internet as a transit network, so you can get a cheap line with more than 4 Mbps.

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

Whats the recommended WAN bandwidth for the hub and spokes in a 500 spokes DMVPN environment?

Ok, here's the thing ... I will not be making any recommendation in this thread.  The reason because I believe your WAN bandwidth of 4 Mbps as a hub for 500 spokes is a big joke.  If I give you a model NOW and then someone will realize that 4 Mbps is indeed not adequate, the model I've given to you will become obsolete very quickly.  

This thread is either a project doomed to fail or a trick question from a school.  

My mistake, actually is 64kbps for each spoke, 40mbps for hub.

My mistake, actually is 64kbps for each spoke, 40mbps for hub.

Each spoke is 64 Kbps????  Are you serious?  

Pull my other leg, it's got bells.  

Each spoke is 64 Kbps????  Are you serious?  

Yes, I believe that the customer does not require high bandwidth to transfer the packets.

Yes, I believe that the customer does not require high bandwidth to transfer the packets. 

Ok, how many people (average) in each spoke?

Ok, how many people (average) in each spoke?

Less than 10

Less than 10

And your boss expects to put >5 people on a 64 Kbps WAN link?

This thread gets stranger and stranger.  Feels like I'm in an episode of the Twilight Zone and have gone back in time to the year 2001.  

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

With IPSEC on top of that? will you have spoke-to-spoke tunnels? Will EIGRP be your protocol?

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

HI,

Yea, IPSEC on top. Spoke to spoke tunnels is required. Is it possible apply no routing protocol?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card