cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do Cisco 6880 catalyst switch trust incoming DSCP markings by default?

PK501
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm trying to figure this out for more than a hour without any breakthroughs. I have a cisco catalyst 6880 switch which acts as MDF core and an IDF hanging off it in a port channel.

my question is , if i apply a QoS policy on the access ports (end user ports) on the IDF side and set the dscp values, does the traffic reaching MDF side honor the dscp markings and forwards it to next hop by default?

I looked into the command [platform qos trust] to see if I can set the trust to dscp on the switch ports on the MDF side but dscp was not an option on 6880s. [mls qos commands are  deprecated on these models]

Any help is appreciated! thanks 

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Once upon a time, I would have known the answer to your question off-the-top-of-my-head, but it's been years since I've "touched" a 68xx.

I recall (???), years ago using the then current IOS, they follow the old Cisco switch QoS model, i.e. ingress ports need to either have an explicit trust statement or an ingress policy, otherwise the switch will reset the ToS to zero.

I also recall (?) these switches worked a bit differently from other smaller Catalyst switches, on the latter, you had to enable QoS, if QoS wasn't enabled, ingress ToS wasn't changed.  With the 65xx/68xx switches, I recall QoS was always enabled (which also means, you'll get different QoS treatment upon egress too, based on ToS marking).

You note the QoS MLS commands are deprecated on these models.  If true, then if they're like the newer Catalyst switches, they wouldn't modify an ingress ToS marking, unless you've configured them to do so.  However, unlike a router, I recall they will still do egress treatment for egress.

Possibly, if you check if ingress interfaces support the trust command, that might be a clue which QoS switch approach they use, old or new.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card