Views
Helpful
Replies

Do I need to buy a router for learning routing TCP/IP

Geraldziila
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I'm recently learning TCP/IP after learned Packet Tracer. But after that when I'm trying read/learn Routing TCP/IP, I found that packet tracer doesn't support *Ping* as the book guided. If I need to buy an old router for leaning the book, do you guys could help advise on that? Or how do you guys learning on that with all kinds of Commands the book showed?

Much Appreciated,

Gerald

9 Replies 9

Hi, 

since packet tracer is a simulation software some of advanced commands may be not available. in that case you can use projects like GNS3 to get actual IOS experiance.

mark this as a answer or upvote if this solved your concern

Good luck

KB

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Hi @Kasun Bandara thanks for you response. I just tired GNS3 as you mentioned for which I found it as not good as I expected. I will buy some old cisco routers for learning *Routing TCP/IP*

Hello,

Packet Tracer also has a feature called simulation mode, which lets you see packets flowing from one node to another; you can also click on a packet to see detailed information categorized by OSI layers. ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deZ94PSqfho

Which book are you referring to ? Actually, buying a used router is in my opinion always a good idea, as you can get them for almost nothing. You can use the router to send extended pings, and also install e.g. Wireshark on your network so you can inspect packets...

Hi @Georg Pauwen thanks for your replying. I have bought one used Router for initiative start. The Book I learned is *Routing TCP/IP Volume1 Second Edition* at which have many commands specially origin Cisco Ping extension. I just bought one is 2811 for training. For later I may buy more other serials of Routers according to the book mentioned. Do you have any advise on that further devices to buy(Switches, Securities, etc)?

Appreciated

Gerald

Hello,

buying a cheap CCNA lab kit such as the one below would be an option (if you have a few hundred dollars to spend). This will enable you to get a good feel for what networking equipment does. The newer, more expensive devices basically do the same thing, they just have a lot more features, and are built for higher speeds.

The 2811 is a very good start by the way.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/263942210719?hash=item3d742e849f:g:sdAAAOSwY8hfc1ZM

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

YES / NO - depends on your needs.

Adding to Other post - Do you have requirement of Router (personally NO)  - Old days we do not much simulators / Emulators of the products to test the features, now you have many options to run most of them virtually and learn. - i do understand some point you need to do config on Physical device (nothing changed from vitual to Physical now days).

Investinge on Physical hardware not suggested, as the Models are changing so quikc now a days, the investment not protects (this is my view) - instead if you can spend same amount of money for your compute, you can build virtual Labs - not only routing, you can do many other networking cources easily and learn quickly.

i tried below worth spend money (start with price to free)

CML - Cisco (200$)

PT - (not tried most users used here)

PNETLAB (free) you need to get IOS images your own

EVE-NG same as above

GNS3 same as above

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi thanks for your view, I have bought that 2811 as the book presented. The old electronic is cheap in China, I just used less than USD20 can get the real physical device. as you know the book take me $100, so I think it's worth to take the used cheap device to make my own lab for learning it.

Hello  

20 dollars is very cheap indeed. You can learn the basics, and a lot more, with a cheap physical kit, so it is a good idea to invest in one. You can always sell it later on...

Sure that is the path you looking to move, I agree, But bear in Mind, Power consumption and flexibility of learning other stuff.

This again one can take a decision, Physical Vs Virtual, If you never had any Physical device experience, this give you hands on.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card