cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Do we really need OTV?

bauti1428
Level 1
Level 1

We are in the process of creating another data center about 15 miles from our current site. We are getting 1 Gig optimum E-line which is a

Layer 2 multipoint-to-multipoint service and another 10 gig dark fiber. Both lines already supports layer 2 connectivity between sites but our vendor keeps on exisiting that we need OTV to extend Layer 2 to the new data center. I'm reading a lot about OTV and the only big thing was that it can transport layer 2 to layer 3 in between data center. Do we really need this feature in or Nexus? Will it really benifit our organization it we can already provide layer 2 connectivity in between datacenter without OTV?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you can expand you layer 2 vlans then you do not need

As you stated above OTV. Can help you expand the L2 vlans over a L3 network or SP

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

For just 2 sites? Don't bother, you are already getting a decent L2 service. OTV scales well especially when you are dual homing to separate PEs for example.

---

Posted by WebUser Jamie Grive

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you can expand you layer 2 vlans then you do not need

As you stated above OTV. Can help you expand the L2 vlans over a L3 network or SP

fb_webuser
Level 6
Level 6

For just 2 sites? Don't bother, you are already getting a decent L2 service. OTV scales well especially when you are dual homing to separate PEs for example.

---

Posted by WebUser Jamie Grive

bauti1428
Level 1
Level 1

Iwant to be able to give the vendor a good explanation on why we don't need it. My manager liked the idea and willing to spend $30000 for license. He said that it takes some of the layer 2 issues like STP and stuff. I hope I get more feedback especially to those that have use it an people who are extending vlans in between OTV and their experience. Cisco says that it's easier to manage than traditional layer 2 protocols.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card