cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does Cisco Router 1841 supports 10MB ILL link.

sachin.m.mohite
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team,

We have a 10 MB Internet Link coming from our ISP through there MUX.

The link is connected to our Router 1841.

Cisco IOS Software, 1841 Software (C1841-IPBASE-M), Version 12.4(3i), RELEASE SO
FTWARE (fc2)

From past few weeks we are facing link speed issues. It gives not more then 1-2 MB.

The ISP is telling there is no Problem in there network.

We have kept Default Routing pointing towards there IP.

We want to know whether our router will support 10MB Internet Link or Not.

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin M.

9 Replies 9

sachin.m.mohite
Level 1
Level 1

The Link is connected on our Router's Ethernet Port coming from MUX ethernet port.

Check that the speed and duplex settings match between the 2 devices. If it is forced on onside it could create that issue.

Here is what I would do, clear interface counters on your router, view the interface statistics and look for any errors. If you need further help post back those results here.

clear count fastethernet0/0

show interface fastethernet0/0

or

show interface counters errors

keep reviewing the show interface results to see if any error conditions go up.

Thanks Gavin,

Errors are coming on the Interface.

After clearing also they are coming.

We were planning to replace the router with other Cisco 1841 with upgraded IOS.

But now someone has told by Boss that this Router does not support 10MB Internet Lease Line Link on Fast Ethernet Port.

Hence want to know the same.

Would appreciate if someone can help me.

Thanks & Regards,

Sachin M.

Call the team who manage the router your device connects to, ask them what they have set the speed and duplex to, from what you are describing I expect they have forced the settings.

Once you have the speed and duplex settings confirmed by them jump onto your fa0/0 interface and configure the same speed and duplex settings.

int fa0/0

speed 10

duplex full

then clear the counters and review them again, hopefully they should have stopped and you'll get the speed you are expecting.

A fastethernet port will support anything from 1 - 100Mb, but when the speed and duplex settings are set differently on each connected device you will get all sorts of connection speed issues. ISPs usually force their settings but by default the Cisco router will be using Speed Auto, Duplex Auto which are not displayed in a show run as they are command defaults. When you fix the speed and duplex settings they will appear in the show run.

Hopefully this will resolve your issue.

Yes this might be the cause.

Our end ports set as Auto both Speed & Duplex.

Thanks again Gavin.

Tommorow i will check that & will confirm you the same.

But it should support the 10MB Inernet Lease line Link?????

It should support a connection that size with no problem at all. Glad to have helped. Let us know if the speed issue persists after getting the speed and duplex settings resolved.

Be sure to mark this thread answered if it is

Sure Buddy,

Tomorrow i will do it.

I am leaving for the day today.

Tomorrow once i get the confirmation i will do it till evening.

Thank you very much.....

The 1841 does have a pair of 100 Mb interfaces and certainly it does support connecting to other 100 Mb device interfaces.  But that certainly does not mean that the 1841 can forward 100 Mb of traffic. Cisco has published some figures that indicate that the 1841 should be able to forward almost 38 Mb of traffic. Note that these performance numbers are based on the router forwarding traffic and running no other services. It would seem that the 1841 should be able to handle the 10 Mb connection. If you are currently only getting 1 or 2 Mb throughput then it would seem that there is some issue that is impacting your traffic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: