cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does dialer-watch work with BGP?

john.dean
Level 1
Level 1

I can find numerous references to dialer watch being able to track routes in OSPF (E)IGRP and other IGP's. These references go back many IOS rev's.

We are moving to an MPLS network and our smallest sites will not be running any IGP, they get all their routes through BGP.

So, the question is will dialer watch track primary routes in BGP and trigger the dialer when those routes go away?

I know of some work-arounds as described in Dr. Vincent C. Jones writings on the subject, but I would prefer to use dialer watch if I can...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Dialer watch keys on routes disappearing from the RIB (route table). It does not matter which routing protocol originated the route.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk133/technologies_tech_note09186a008009457d.shtml

Routing protocol independent. Static routes or dynamic routing protocols such as Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (IGRP), Enhanced IGRP (EIGRP) or Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) can be used.

Please rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

dgahm
Level 8
Level 8

Dialer watch keys on routes disappearing from the RIB (route table). It does not matter which routing protocol originated the route.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk133/technologies_tech_note09186a008009457d.shtml

Routing protocol independent. Static routes or dynamic routing protocols such as Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (IGRP), Enhanced IGRP (EIGRP) or Open Shortest Path First (OSPF) can be used.

Please rate helpful posts.

Thanks for your response.

I had consulted this document but wanted to make sure since no EGP's are explicity referenced by the document, and other documents and sources had indicated that (at one time at least) only EIGRP and IGRP were supported.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card