cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Does the RV016 port forwarding bypass firewall default rules?

brunomoyle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, this is my first discussion within this community (I think) and I got a strange issue when opening SSH service to a Database Administrator within my LAN, that has a RV016 as the default gateway. So confidence, I just set up a port forwarding in Setup > Forwarding and everything works fine, cool.

However, I do not want this to be a public access, I need a specific firewall rule for a specific external IP address (only the DBA fixed IP Internet might connect to my database server through SSH).

O noticed that when a port forwarding is created within RV016, it bypass the firewall default rules and wide-opens the service (port) to the web. Conceptually, this is correct, as port forwarding is a network translation, but I expected that my firewall had work over this.

My current solution was to create a "Deny from all" rule at port 22 and then create one additional rule that allows traffic from an specific IP at port 22.

Any help?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Please post in SBCS as the RV is not an enterprise Cisco product.

1. What's SBCS?
  2. I get here by Cisco Support Community > NetPro > Network Infrastructure > WAN, Routing and Switching. Where did I got wrong?

Thanks.

Hi Bruno,

Paolo is referring to this:

Cisco Support Community > NetPro >Small Business Support Community

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card