Replies

Does tuning the tx-ring limit make sense when outbound shaper is configured

TCC Service
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm facing the following issue:

Cisco 891 <---1Gb,fulld,ethern---> Cable modem <---10 mbps upload ---> ISP

I have a policymap with a shaper and a child policy map configured like this on the wan interface of the 891 (Giga0):

Policy Map QOS_WANOUT_PM

Class class-default

Average Rate Traffic Shaping

cir 9400000 (bps)

service-policy QOS_WANOUT_CHILD_PM

So my CIR is shaped to 9,4 mbps.

Does adjusting the tx-ring limit to a lowed value than 256 (default) makes sense in a situation like this? My guess is that its not since the tx-ring will never get full with the shaper attached.

Anyone any idea's?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

JohnTylerPearce
Level 7
Level 7

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling the hardware queue size is determined by interface speed. So let's say you decrease the hardware queue size to 5 this would cause more traffic to be put in memory which wouldn't be optimal. Once again I don't know the answer, so I'm taking a guess.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It depends on you Bc and Be.  (In your case, as you're using shape average, Be shouldn't apply.)

The shaper allows ingress to egress traffic at line rate and/or might dequeue at its maximum PPS rate.  A burst that's "fits" within Bc (or if shape peek Bc+Be) could queue in the tx-ring.

Considering the performance capacity of an 891 and assuming you don't have LAN ingress bandwidth that oversubscribes the egress gig, I doubt there would be the need for deep tx-ring.

BTW, some of the later IOSs are supposed to minimize tx-ring when a service policy is applied.  (This to minimize FIFO tx-ring queuing, before packets are placed into an interface policy [without shaper].)  Are you sure tx-ring size is still 256?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card