cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DS0 to FR or HDLC encapsulation.

dangal.43
Level 1
Level 1

I have only DS0 channel and i want to carry that DS0 channel through the IP/MPLS network. As this is only the DS0 not full T1 so i dont want to west the bandwidth, so i am planning to have DS0 channel should be terminating to the FR or Serial interface using CSU/DSU or using HDLC or FR encapsulation i would like to carry that only 64Kbps data through out the IP network..... so will it be possible? can any one suggess me any good device or any good link for the same?

7 Replies 7

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

You can use FR to connect to your provider and take MPLS-VPN service over it, for your branches (you can use ordinary serial interfaces and the provider will supply you with the 64K/DS0 on it), for your head office you'll need a higher BW to serve all your branches, if we are talking about a max of 2M in HO then you can also use a serial interface in HO.

HTH, please do rate all helpful repliesm

Mohammed Mahmoud.

i want that DS0 should be encapsulated in to the FR/HDLC fram.... so will it be possible to acieve something like that? then that FR frame or HDLC frame will travel through the IP/MPLS.

Hi,

Yes, MPLS-VPN is a service given to customers over any layer2 encapsulation (ex: FR in your case), the CE router (you router) needs nothing but FR configuration and IP configuration on the interfaces to connect to the provider IP/MPLS cloud which connects the customer CE routers together over the MPLS backbone.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Mohammed,

about FR over MPLS i know that it can be possible using the Pseudowire or L2TPv3 technology. but you are not replying with my required answer of the encapsulation of DS0 to FR/HDLC frame. how can i creat the FR or HDLC frame of DS0 (perticularslot)?

actually i have only one DS0 which is having data, so instade of using thw whole T1 to carry that DS0 data i want to encapsulate that DS0 data in to the small HDLC or FR frame.

Hi,

I am trying to understand you here, sorry for any inconvenience :) if you are talking about a T1 interface that you need to configure a channel-group on it with DS0 speed, it should be something like this:

Router(config)# controller t1 0/1

Router(config-controller)# channel-group 1 timeslots 1

Router(config)# interface serial 0/1:1

Router(config-if)# encapsulation frame-relay ietf

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

so now i will have DS0 data will be encapsulated with the FR right!!! now i can use that FR Frame or HDLC frame to carry on my IP/MPLS network is that correct?

Hi,

Yes you are right, you got it :)

Please don't hesitate if you have further questions.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card