cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual uplinks with single 5400 and single 6509 (with multiple interface cards)

miked
Level 1
Level 1

I have a single 5400 with two gige ports and a single 6509 with dual gige line cards.

What would be the best method for running them with dual connections in case an interface or line card goes bad?

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

miked
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone?

Does anyone know a good alternative to "ip sla" on a 6509? I can't believe the 6509 doesn't support "ip sla".

So the 6509 supports rtr and track but the "ip route" statement doesn't support the "track" attribute??? Man, I just can't catch break!!!

miked
Level 1
Level 1

Nobody??? Anybody???

Joseph Nelson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi miked,

I have 6509s in my environment and I run IP SLA ( ICMP probes) with static routes and they support the track feature. What IOS level are you at?

The AS5400 supports routing, no? Can you configure you 6509 to use routed ports facing the 5400, then you can configure routing (EIGRP/OSPF) between the 5400 and 6509? Or are you limited to using static routes between the devices?

HTH

Joe

Rate if helpful

Thank you for the reply Joseph. I swear I've ran SLA on 6500's before. This box is running IOS 12.2 so maybe that's the culprit.

I found a simple way to configure both devices redundantly using administrative distanced routes pointing through a specified interface. On the 6509, the routes point to a loopback address on the 5400, on the 5400 it's configured as default routes. Like this document explains:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/27082-ip-static-routes.html

Seems to work like a champ.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card