Views
Helpful
Replies

Duplex Mode

Bikas Giri
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can I set the duplex full in interface fa0/1 in the given example, what will be the effect of this if I set duplex mode to full.

FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up

Full-duplex, 100Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX

FastEthernet0/1 is up, line protocol is up

Encapsulation 802.1Q Virtual LAN, Vlan ID  1., loopback not set

Half-duplex, 10Mb/s, 100BaseTX/FX

FastEthernet0/1.111 is up, line protocol is up

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,

Encapsulation 802.1Q Virtual LAN, Vlan ID  111.

FastEthernet0/1.296 is up, line protocol is up

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 2/255

Encapsulation 802.1Q Virtual LAN, Vlan ID  296.

Regards,

Mero

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Can I set the duplex full in interface fa0/1 in the given example, what will be the effect of this if I set duplex mode to full.

You could but this is not advisable.  If you hard-code your interface to full duplex and the remote end cannot talk full duplex then the link will stay down.

If you believe that the remote end interface can talk full duplex but couldn't then you need to deteremine why.  Maybe the drivers are faulty or old?

There are some PCs nowadays that when in standby mode will re-negotiate to 10 Half Duplex.  There are some printers too operate exclusively at 10 Half Duplex.

Hi,

My other end device is on full duplex. Should I change the router interface to full duplex.

Regards,

Mero

My other end device is on full duplex. Should I change the router interface to full duplex.

Is the remote end device hard-coded to full duplex, if so, can you change it to auto/auto?

If not, then try hard-coding your interface to full duplex.  But you have to understand that by doing so, the remote end link may not come up or line errors might occur. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card