Views
Helpful
Replies

E1 T1 Controllers

ecisco1010
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I have been newly in the field and trying to understand what is E1 or T1 controllers. I have finished my CCNA training and understand E1/T1 standards in ISDN. In my organization, they would ask sometimes to check the controller or serial interface and few times for ISDN line. I guess my theoretical knowledge needs help here. Any help, comments, suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for taking time.

Regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Controller are like FE and when you configure it like channel-group 0 time-slots 1-31 then virtual serial interface is created, then you can configure your serial interface for IP address etc.

suppose

you have

Controller E1 0/0

channel-group 0 time-slots 1-31

framing no-crc4

then serial interface will be

interface serial 0/0:0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

encapsulation PPP [HDLC]

now you can monitor as

show controller e1 0/0

sho int s0/0:0

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

gerald.suiza
Level 1
Level 1

E1 and T1 are different are are not only used for ISDN. You can issue a sh controller [interface] and you will see stats other than errors. you see path code violations, errored seconds etc. each has its own characteristics and could guide you to where teh problem may lie.

Hi,

when you use the T1/E1 Controller for Voice the E1 mode work in most countries in Europe. The T1 mode is used in USA etc. In voice mode there must be the command like "show isdn status". In Germany The E1 is often used for PRI with 31 Channel. In this Case all debug command in relation chip with ISDN will provide a good help. T1-Lines are often used for dedicated lines. To connect two company sites for example. In this case the show controller commands will provide help. In both cases there will be a serial interface with must be configured. Over this the Data will flow. Debug commands for Protocols will help you to detect a configuration failure.

So a controller is a module like Serial/Fe and need to be inserted in the router or that is just a command given for the interface to see additional parameters? I want to understand is that a hardware that connects with an interface or just a command to see additional outouts or debugging results.

I accept it may sound odd but I am really confused here and want to have a clarity. I tried to google but they all starts from configuring the controller. I couldn't find where they first define what exactly is a controller.

Thanks a lot for replying and sharing knowledge.

Regards.

Thank you very much for the reply. I still want to have a basic understanding on controller, what exactly is that, a hardware or debugging parameter. I have detailed my doubt in below post. Any addition would be highly appreciated.

Regards.

Controller are like FE and when you configure it like channel-group 0 time-slots 1-31 then virtual serial interface is created, then you can configure your serial interface for IP address etc.

suppose

you have

Controller E1 0/0

channel-group 0 time-slots 1-31

framing no-crc4

then serial interface will be

interface serial 0/0:0

ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.252

encapsulation PPP [HDLC]

now you can monitor as

show controller e1 0/0

sho int s0/0:0

Thanks a lot. That's why they say basics make it all (:

I appreciate everyone taking time and helping me.

Regards.

Sorry, but by FE you mean FastEthernet interface ?

Thank you, Im having the same problem with E1 Serial interfaces.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card