cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EBGP Multihop or EBGP through a GRE tunnel ?

Matthew burnley
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Does anyone know what the advantages of announcing BGP routes through a GRE tunnel have over using EBGP multihop and no tunnel?  Im thinking about a backup ADSL line for a router, if i was to create a EBGP neighbor with my device on its public IP address over an ADSL line, there are surely many hops in the way, thus i will have to use EBGP multihop in the neighbor statement, or i could create a GRE tunnel between my two end points and build the BGP neighbor over the tunnel interface IP addresses.

What are the advantages of using one method over the other?  Does anybody have an answer?

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Well, from a performance standpoint, using a GRE tunnels incurs extra processing to encapsulate and decapsuate packets, and you lose 24 bytes of transport capacity (to GRE overhead), which can also easily lead to fragmentation.

Consider iBGP is "naturally" multihop, I would lean toward using eBGP multihop, if peers weren't adjacent.

Hi,

I second Joseph on it. Advantage of GRE tunnel is to carry multicast or broadcast traffic from one site to another like if you want to run IGP protocols like EIGRP, OSPF between two sites, non ip traffic over ip network or say if you want to do encryption of data and want to use ipsec over GRE. For protocol like BGP which supports multihop, we can avoid using GRE and save extra overhead.

Regards,

Akash

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card