Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP and "ip default-network"

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi all,

I'm reading the CiscoPress book "EIGRP Network Design Solutions" at the moment and had a query regarding the use of the 'ip default-network' command with EIGRP.

The author states that when the 'ip default-network' is used for a connected network, it will be marked as a candidate default and will be automatically redistributed into all EIGRP processes (even if redistribution of connected networks into EIGRP is NOT configured).

I've attempted this in my lab and the automatic redistribution does not happen. Has the behaviour changed in newer IOS releases ?

Thanks in advance.

Paresh Khatri

5 Replies 5

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

I havent tested it on a connected network, but I have tried it on static routes. Configure a static route on one router and use that network as default network.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

So are you saying that when you configure a static route as a default network, it will be automatically redistributed into EIGRP, even without a 'redistribute static' ?

That's not what I see in my lab...

Still looking for answers...

Paresh.

mhussein
Level 4
Level 4

I don't think that statement is accurate, based on this excerpt:

"Gateways of last resort selected using the ip default-network command are propagated differently depending on which routing protocol is propagating the default route. For IGRP and EIGRP to propagate the route, the network specified by the ip default-network command must be known to IGRP or EIGRP. This means the network must be an IGRP- or EIGRP-derived network in the routing table, or the static route used to generate the route to the network must be redistributed into IGRP or EIGRP, or advertised into these protocols using the network command"

Configuring a Gateway of Last Resort Using IP Commands

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094374.shtml#protocols

It would be nice if you could post your configs and route tables.

HTH,

Mustafa

Hi Mustafa,

That's exactly what I've been getting at..

Unless there is explicit redistribution of the static/connected routes, it should not enter the EIGRP topology table.

Cheers,

Paresh.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco