cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP Autosummarization Disabled - Routes Advertised - Can Someone Help Explain?

Derek Parish
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone please explain the answer to the following problem for me?  Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello Derek,

from the 5 answer options, I see only 2 routes in the routing table:

10.1.4.0/30

10.1.2.0/24

For the other 3 networks, there is no matching entry in the routing table and autosummarization is disabled.

The question does not say those two are the only routes advertised to the ISP router.

HTH

Rolf

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is this the full question ?

If R2 is running EIGRP with the ISP router then all EIGRP routes would be advertised unless you are filtering them.

If you aren't running EIGRP then none will be advertised.

So I don't even think the choose two is correct.

And there isn't a 10.1.4.0/28 route in the IP routing table.

Are you sure there is not some additional information with this question ?

Jon

That is the entire question and that is why I am confused by this.  

My coworker and I are in Cisco Netacad for CCNA and have absorbed everything pretty easily, but this one question in particular that we missed on a test just doesn't make any sense (to me).  This question is straight from one of the chapter cisco tests on the Cisco Netacad site.

I thought maybe I was just overlooking something simple. 

Hello,

I think the question is if autosummarization is not disabled. In this case, router summarizes the routes and send less routes to the ISP .

The question says if autosummarization is disabled though.

Also in the picture you can see what are the supposed correct answers by the green check marks.

This questions is aggravating!

There might be something missing. It is interesting that it only sends routes on Fa0/1.

In normal situation, It will send all connected and Dynamically learned routes.

No idea but that is all they gave.  I'll see if I can email the school and find out more.

Hello Derek,

from the 5 answer options, I see only 2 routes in the routing table:

10.1.4.0/30

10.1.2.0/24

For the other 3 networks, there is no matching entry in the routing table and autosummarization is disabled.

The question does not say those two are the only routes advertised to the ISP router.

HTH

Rolf

Rolf

Good point.

The question seems designed to trick you rather than test any real knowledge though because it suggests (at least to me) that only two routes are advertised. 

This is why I don't do certifications :-)

Jon

Jon,

I know exactly what you mean ;-)

Unfortunately, many younger colleagues have little choice since companies often not even invite non-certified candidates for their job interviews.

No one would argue that holding a driving licence makes you a good driver, but for any reason the entire IT-industry demands certified staff ...

Rolf

Crap....see I knew it would be easy, thank you

It was tricky. It was mostly eyes test.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card