Helpful
Replies

EIGRP - eigrp stub connected static summary

GRANT3779
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All,

Regarding the command - eigrp stub connected static summary

Am I right in thinking that when configured (it's on my Core Stack of Switches) the following is true.

* Automatically advertises connected routes without any further config in the EIGRP process

* Will not allow for the automatic redistribution of configured static routes on my Core Switch. They first need to be RD'd into the EIGRP process first before being advertised?

* Automatically advertises summary routes?

I have the following configured -

router eigrp 100
 network 10.21.50.1  0.0.0.0
 redistribute static route-map STATIC-TO-EIGRP
 eigrp stub connected static summary

If I did not have the "redistribute static route-map STATIC-TO-EIGRP" configured - my statics would not be redistributed solely on the eigrp stub static command. (I do NEED this route-map)?

If I did not have the "static" part in my eigrp stub connected static summary command, then my route-map wouldn't work?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You still have to specify the network that you want to advertise. The stub options allow you to advertise those. For example, if I had a loopback of 1.1.1.0/24, I would still need the network command in eigrp configured along with the eigrp stub connected command. If you omit the connected (which is default btw), and specified "eigrp stub summary", then it will not advertise the connected route even if you have the network command specified to advertise.

So in summary, the eigrp stub command allows you to advertise those types of routes to your neighbor, but if you don't have it specified, it won't advertise them while being configured as a stub host.

Yes, you'll still need to redistribute your static routes, and it still falls under the rules above. If you don't have the "eigrp stub static" configured, it will not advertise the redistributed route.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks for ending my 60-min web search!

THIS: the eigrp stub command allows you to advertise those types of routes to your neighbor, but if you don't have it specified, it won't advertise them while being configured as a stub host.

Is what I was looking for. Much appreciated.

ashishrana
Level 1
Level 1

the command " eigrp stub connected static summary" will advertise local connected routes, static routes and summary routes. Having said that it will advertise static routes- does not mean that it will happen automatically. You need to redistribute static routes in eigrp. So your point 1 is correct.

If you dont set "static" part in eigrp stub then your static wont be redistributed in any case i.e. even if you have "redistribution static" happening in eigrp or not.  So your point 2 is correct per the configuration you updated.

You may refer the same in below link. 

http://networkchap.com/eigrp-stub-routing/

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card