Views
Helpful
Replies

EIGRP load balancing for specific routes

Jit Oza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Really need some help for EIGRP load balancing. I have two WAN routers and both connected to Service Providers router as per topology attached. How can I do load balancing or send particular prefix or IP via one link no to other ? 

Any suggestion or help really appreciated!!!

Regards,

Jit

8 Replies 8

Martin L
VIP
VIP

i don;t think we can do load balancing per prefix with EIGRP; you would have to run BGP between sites or Other device (other then router)

Based on topo, you should have BGP links from ISP to your WAN routers

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **   

jalejand
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Without any design consideration, you can select which prefixes will be advertised from one EIGRP to another by using a distribute list in egress direction.

For example.
On WAN router 1 you can do:

ip prefix-list EIGRP_OUT seq 5 deny 192.168.10.0/24 ---- Deny a route to be advertised out of an interface
ip prefix-list EIGRP_OUT seq 10 permit 0.0.0.0/0 le 32 --- Permit any other route

router eigrp 20
distribute-list prefix EIGRP_OUT out GigabitEthernet0/0 ---- Apply a distribute list to supress the denied routes out the interface facing the ISP

Interesting is that you are running EIGRP with an ISP, if that is an L3VPN (MPLS L3 Cloud) then that is fine, but otherwise, this would be easier with BGP

I agree its easier with BGP.

But is there any way to do same with EIGRP ?

Jit

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I hope it is very difficult with EIGRP with the current design. Let me check-in the lab.

Is it the Internet or MPLS connection? If it is an internet connection then you must be using the NAT on the ISP router and you can modify the same using route-map NAT.

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

It’s not the internet it’s MPLS and it’s replication traffic

Jit

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
As other posters have noted, it's possible to manipulate prefixes, but if the issue is link saturation due to something like replication traffic, possibly a better approach would be QoS.

I am ok with Link saturation thats why this link is for.

How do you set up with QoS so I can send particular prefix ?

Jit Oza

QoS wouldn't (normally) have anything to do with link selection. What it could do is deprioritize some traffic, like your replication traffic, so it effectively has almost no impact to other traffic while letting all your traffic benefit from both links' bandwidth.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card