cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

eigrp no-auto summary

nealleslie
Level 1
Level 1

Got a little bit of a weird issue.  Setting up a router to be added to our mpls network.    using eigrp.  we usually use the no auto-summary command so that the subnet masks are broadcast in the routes.  However, every time i add the no auto-summary to the configuration it doesn't seem to stick when i do the sh run command.  

I've never seen a router act this way.  any ideas? anyone?   any help would be much appreciated.   version of router is 1841 15.0. 

thanks

15 Replies 15

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Neal,

default settings are not shown in show running config.

And they can change over time in newer versions

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/iproute_eigrp/command/A_through_H.html#GUID-DD4D7C28-4F31-4AC5-ABF7-697194696B10

auto-summary is disabled by default on newer IOS versions so if you type no auto-summary you don't see it anymore.

use show ip protocols to verify if auto.summary is disabled in EIGRP process

Hope to help

Giuseppe

yeah, it is disabled.  how do i enable it?

well, actually then i want auto-summarization to be disabled...right?

Hello Neal,

I have always used EIGRP with auto-summary disabled and this is now the default so no need to type it as you have seen

the command show ip protocols can give you confirmation of this

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

Do you mean that you didn't see a "no auto-summary" command in running-configuration?

Edit: Wow!!!  I just know that it's gone with a new version.

Thanks  Giuseppe

Toshi

maybe cisco disables it by default now ..so you don't have to issue the no-auto summary command.  

The issue we're having is the mpls is up but when you rdp to another machine in another office on the mpls network the connection drops after 5 secs or so.  i have a call in with a sprint network engineer.     i don't know if you would have any ideas what would make the connection drop?

Hello Neal,

>>

The issue we're having is the mpls is up but when you rdp to another machine in another office on the mpls network the connection drops after 5 secs or so.

again the show ip protocol can confirm you if you are advertising specific routes or there is any device advertising major networks.

notice that if the connection is able to be setup even for only 5 seconds routing should be fine.

Verify that you haven't MTU issues, and that there are no asymmetric routing from the point of view of firewalls if any on the path.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

We have a juniper firewall that is routing the traffic to the mpls router.   We use the mpls for 4 digit dialing between offices and since the phone system has to be internet facing as well it needs to have the juniper (internet gw) as it's default gw and a route that goes to the mpls.  But the only thing the juniper is doing is just handing the route off to the mpls.   The issue would probably be with either the mpsl router on our end or on sprint's end, correct?

Hi,

If you are facing a black screen with RDP(tcp/3389), you should check MTU issues first.

HTH,

Toshi

no, it's not a black screen.   it looks fine...i can bring up notepad and start typing junk ..but then after a few secs it disconnects. 

would that be an MTU issue?

Hi,

Can you test by using a ping command to that server while trying to connect with RDP?  To make sure that your network connection is fine. Can you connect other services without any problem but RDP?

Toshi

yeah, i can do a constant ping and not a packet drops.    I tried vnc as well and it drops a few secs after making the connection.   it uses port 5900.

Ok. the latest update.   When i hooked  a computer up using the mpls router as the default gw, the connection didn't drop.  More and more it looks like it might be the juniper router....which doesn't make sense because all the juniper is going is sending the traffic to the mpls. 

Hello Neal,

have you been able to fix the problem on the juniper FW?

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card